Smoked Salmon is a firm favourite for many over the Christmas period. However, not everyone knows how best to make the most of this fabulous product. We often get asked for recipes and serving suggestions, in particular for smoked salmon canape ideas.
We thought it might be nice to share some recipes, which we hope will inspire you to get creative this Christmas.
All the recipes have been developed by our team at Uig Lodge, especially for your enjoyment. Some are perfect for entertaining, others are great for a quick supper, or for using up leftovers.
This week we’re sharing some of our smoked salmon canape ideas.
Smoked salmon, beetroot and horseradish with crème fraiche on rye toasts
1 cooked beetroot
4 heaped teaspoons horseradish
juice ½ lemon
Thinly cut rye bread
Uig lodge smoked salmon
• Add the beetroot, lemon juice and horseradish to a blender, and blend until smooth and silky. Add a splash of water if the mixture needs loosening; season to taste.
• Slice some rye bread and cut into small canapes sized squares. Toast under a hot grill until lightly toasted on both sides.
• Spoon a little blob of the beetroot mixture on top of the rye toast, place a small blob of the crème fraiche next to it (you can make an attractive marbling affect with a skewer if you like). Take a small strip of Uig lodge smoked salmon about 2cm wides and 7cm long and roll up to create a small rose effect and place on top of the toast.
• Sprinkle with chopped dill and plenty of black pepper.
Cucumber and smoked salmon skewers
½ a cucumber
Uig Lodge smoked salmon
Chopped dill or chervil
• Peel the cucumber and shave into long strips using a potato peeler. Place in a colander and sprinkle lightly with salt. Leave for 20 minutes. Pat dry with kitchen towel.
• Cut the smoked salmon into similar sized strips to the cucumber and thread onto bamboo skewers concertina style.
• Sprinkle with chopped dill or chervil and freshly milled black pepper.
Don’t forget, if you’re looking for other ideas for how to use our smoked salmon, take a look at our recipes page.